Mud


Dir: Jeff Nichols

Year: 2013

Cast: Matthew McConaughey, Reese Witherspoon, Tye Sheridan, Sam Shepard, Michael Shannon

Genre: Drama/Thriller

Cert: 12

Rating: ★★★★★

IMDb

Jeff Nichols follows up Take Shelter, which is easily one of the best films of 2011 that I shamefully only watched last year, with an absolute bang. It follows the story of two teenage friends at some stage of the 90's (I think) who find themselves a large boat jammed in a tree on a desert island, unaware it's inhabited by a scaldy weirdo. That weirdo is the extremely likable Mud, played brilliantly by the extremely likable Matthew McConaughey. He is a fugitive on the run awaiting the arrival of his love, Juniper (The shittest name ever I must say, but then again, Mud isn't exactly the name loving parents would give their child) played by Reese Witherspoon. Mud enlists the two wee lads in helping him get the boat back to working order and reuniting him with Juniper, while trying to evade a gang of ruthless bounty hunters!

Absolutely fucking stellar movie, everything was done to perfection; Acting, directing, cinematography, story, choices of music were brilliant too. One of the few movies this year to have me clenching harder than a cigar cutter in certain parts with utter tension. Jeff Nichols has so far made 3 movies, 2 of which I've seen and would give a delicious 5 stars to. His first movie, Shotgun Stories is one I've yet to see! All contain lunatic/legend Michael Shannon in some form too. The duo never go wrong! Can't wait to see more from him. This is neatly earned itself a place in my top 5 of 2013! A list which will be along in the next week or so when I catch up on some of the top movies from the year. I recommend this highly!

Comments